Friday, March 21, 2014

Mark Garrett's Art Opening Attended

A few weeks ago, I met an artist Mark Garrett who mainly works with collages. Tonight I attended his much-attended art opening. The works are beautifully executed and beg the questions, "Where is the artist from?" Does he feel a sense of displacement in the world? Why the maps?

UnTethered: Drawing With Scissors

March 21- April 19, 2014
Opening: 6-8PM
DogPatch Gallery, 2295 Third St SF,CA 94107

This liminal body of work evolved before I was fully aware of its origins. My practice of folding and cutting maps with scissors and applying the deconstructed fragments to paper with paint became my technical mantra for almost 3 years. Their sinewy, emotionally linear, and ruptured appearance are visually reminiscent of Rorschach inkblots. There is often some evident duality, or mirroring effect at play here. Though it was never in the forefront of my mind, I believe these maps fueled a better understanding of my/our subconscious minds and how a series of life altering events contributed to this visual expression.
MMG








No comments:

Post a Comment