Monday, August 10, 2015

Thoughts About The Artist's Way Book

Lately, I have joined a group where we are working through "The Artist's Way" book. I spend quite a bit of time during my morning pages, complaining about the abundance of God bullshit and giving up your power to an invisible being or force. I take full responsibility for my creativity! I am proud of the hard work and time I dedicate to my art. I attribute my success to my continued focus and efforts. I am courageous, because there is not a safety net or nebulous guidance.

Being a Humanist and Atheist, I continue to find the book challenging, but try to concentrate on the things I DO agree with.

Finally, I found this really cool post where they have rewritten the "Basic Principles".


Original

Modified

1. Creativity is the natural order of life. Life is energy: pure creative energy.1. Life is a manifestation of creative energy that includes cycles of building and destruction.
2. There is an underlying, in-dwelling creative force infusing all of life – including ourselves.2. The innate urge to create is a healthy part of being human.
3. When we open ourselves to our creativity, we open ourselves to the creator’s creativity within us and our lives.3. When we open ourselves to creativity, we embrace vulnerability, intuition, spontaneity and uncertainty. This leads us to greater happiness and peace.
4. We are, ourselves, creations. And we, in turn, are meant to continue creativity by being creative ourselves.4. Our lives are a manifestation of creative energy; it benefits us to align our own efforts with that energy for as long as we are able.
5. Creativity is God’s gift to us. Using our creativity is our gift back to God.5. Creativity is a precious component of our whole selves. Valuing it is a gift to ourselves and leads to greater self worth.
6. The refusal to be creative is self-will and is counter to our true nature.6. It is our choice which parts of our nature to feed. The refusal to feed our creative nature runs counter to our well being.
7. When we open ourselves to exploring our creativity, we open ourselves to God: good orderly direction.7. When we open ourselves to being creative, we become aware of our ephemerality and yearn to use our time here well.
8. As we open our creative channel to the creator, many gentle but powerful changes are to be expected.8. As we open ourselves to creativity, we will see powerful but subtle adjustments that lead to personal and artistic growth.
9. It is safe to open ourselves up to greater and greater creativity.9. It is safe to open ourselves up to creativity, insofar as anything in life is truly ‘safe.’
10. Our creative dreams and yearnings come from a divine source. As we move toward our dreams, we move toward our divinity.10. Our creative dreams and yearnings come from a part of ourselves that we must listen to in order to value all that we are.
- written by Tae Phoenix

No comments:

Post a Comment