Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Day at SFMOMA

Today spent the day in SFMOMA with my friend Douglas Good. I was excited to see the Jay Defeo retrospective and my favorite piece still remains Incision which is part of the museum's permanent collection. It is one of the thickest oil paintings I have experienced and the textures are wonderful.


Incision, 1958-61
Jay DeFeo
Oil and string on canvas mounted on board
118" x 55 5/8" x 9 3/8"

Walked VERY quickly through the Jasper Johns show and was bored silly. I really do not care for his work on many levels.

On the other hand, I stumbled upon a contemporary painter, Adrian Ghenie, who I really admire for his aesthetic techniques as well as his concepts. The works are powerful, politically charged, and dark.

Adrian Ghenie - "Dada is Dead", 2009, oil on canvas, 200 X 220 cm
I look forward to seeing more of his works in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment