Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Visiting the Legion of Honor

Once again it was the monthly free day at the museums. My friend, Douglas Good and I first headed to the Legion of Honor to see the exhibition "Royal Treasures from the Louvre: Louis XIV to Marie-Antoinette. Afterwards, both Douglas and I were quite pleased that the collection was somewhat small. This gave us time to contemplate the beauty and craftsmanship in each piece, whereas at the Louvre, one is often rushed and not able to absorb each piece.


I especially loved the snuff boxes, but would have liked to have seen a few examples that one would have carried on their person. Regardless, these were my favorite things.














Douglas and I also noticed a recurring motif of vultures and wondered out loud the significance. An answer was not found and perhaps we both might research.  Here is the most elegant example.


Nearby to this exhibit, was another entitled, "Artful Animals" where I encountered this lovely etching.

We breezed through this small exhibit, for we both agreed that the curatorial focus was very generic.






















We then wandered through the permanent collection and I fell in love with this old painting. I especially admire the floating veil.

Joos van Cleve, Flemish, 1540
Lucretia, 15th-16th century
Oil on panel
29 7/8 x 23 7/8


































I continued around the corner and was surprised by yet another painting that was a new acquisition. It was delightful, whimsical, and fantastical.

John Anster Fitzgerald
Fairies in a Bird's Nest, ca. 1860
Oil on canvas























No comments:

Post a Comment